The Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary will be selected at the next regular School Committee meeting following the annual town election. In the case of the Regional School Committee, the Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary will be selected at the next regular School Committee meeting following the latest annual town election of the member towns of the Region and including up to ten additional days after that annual town election for the town’s School Committee to select its Regional School Committee member or members. In the event both the Chair and Vice-Chair have ended their terms of office before this selection has taken place,the Committee will elect a Chair to serve for the remainder of the term.
Duties of the Chair
The Chair of the School Committee must be a member of the Committee and will have the same powers as any other member of the Committee to vote upon all measures coming before them, to offer resolutions and to discuss questions. He/she will perform those duties that are consistent with his/her office and those required by law, state regulations, and the Committee. In carrying out these responsibilities, the Chair of each School Committee will:
- Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee.
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee’s agendas.
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Committee meetings.
- Establish subcommittees, subject to Committee approval, and appoint the subcommittee members and chair.
- Call special meetings of the Committee as necessary.
- Be public spokesperson for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others.
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the Chair will:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
- Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order.
- Enforce the Committee’s policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings.
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if this is not clear to members.
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee.
- Answer all parliamentary inquiries.
- Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
Duties of the Vice-Chair
The Vice-Chair of the School Committee must be a member of Committee and will be presiding officer of the Committee when the Chair is unable to do so, and perform such other duties as may be delegated or assigned to him/her.
The Secretary, who may be a member of the respective Committee or another person elected by the Committee, will keep or cause to be kept an accurate journal of all Committee meetings, will comply with state law and Committee policy regarding notification of meetings and will sign such reports as may be required by the state or the town. If not a member of the School Committee, the Secretary will be responsible to the Superintendent of Schools.
Region Voted to Approve: 8/12/86 amended 11/25/08
Amherst Voted to Approve: 8/19/86 amended 12/9/08
Pelham Voted to Approve: 8/18/86 amended 12/4/08
Effective Date: 12/9/08